- 15+ years of experience creating database-driven, consumer-facing web applications.
- Web Servers/Frameworks:
- Ruby on Rails, ATG Dynamo Application Server (4.5 - 5.6), Apache, LiteSpeed, Lighttpd, CGI/FastCGI
- Sr. Software Engineer Funny Or Die, Palo Alto, CA 2007 - present
- Ruby on Rails running on Linux
- MySQL 5 Database
- LiteSpeed Web Server
- Part of 4-person engineering team responsible for the code base that runs the Or Die network of websites (www.funnyordie.com, www.shredordie.com, www.pwnordie.com, www.funnyordie.co.uk, www.morraderir.com.br).
- Build and maintain Ruby, Rails and SQL code.
- Provide technical assistance and implementation for interfacing with 3rd party Ad Server (Atlas).
- Evaluate and implement open source solutions to FoD's business needs.
- Work closely with product and business leaders to scope and enhance site features
- Sr. Software Engineer LookSmart, San Francisco, CA 2005 - 2007
- Ruby on Rails running on Linux
- Oracle 10g Database
- Apache 2.2
- Lead engineer for LookSmart's Ruby on Rails based "Ad Center", where advertisers create and manage ad campaigns
- Maintain and grow the Ruby code base
- Implement database schema changes to accommodate new enhancements
- Troubleshoot bugs and analyze logs/database records
- Mentor and assist other developers
- Provide tech feedback
- Past Roles/Responsibilities:
- Lead effort to rebuild LookSmart's advertiser products on Ruby on Rails
- Assist Product Managers flesh out specs
- Tech lead over various engineering efforts
- Provide assistance and mentoring to other engineers in Ruby and Ruby on Rails
- Develop and maintain LookSmart's ATG Dynamo Java based "Advertiser Center"
- Provide tech feedback and cost analysis on future enhancements
- Implement enhancements and extend the Java code base
- Create database schema changes
- Create "manual" sql scripts
- Web Developer PayPal, San Jose, CA 2004 - 2005
- XML/XSL running on Linux/UNIX, managed in a multi-stream ClearCase environment
- Developed XML pages, Schema definitions and XSLT templates. Part of a sixteen person group doing all of PayPal's front-end development.
- Senior Web Developer LookSmart, San Francisco, CA 1999 - 2004
- ATG Dynamo 5.6 behind Apache running on Solaris 8
- Lead Developer in charge of LookSmart's Pay-Per-Click and Pay-For-Placement product suites.
- Developed and maintained front- and back-end code through many product revisions.
- Participated in code and design reviews.
- Mentored and reviewed junior developers.
- Helped rollout, develop and maintain migration of LookSmart's Web properties and syndicated partner sites as they moved off proprietary page composition software to a customized PHP setting. Participated in back-end Perl and PHP coding, code reviews and active development.
- Developed and maintained syndicated versions of the LookSmart directory for partners, including, Go2Net, Juno, Prodigy, CNN/Time Warner, Shockwave and others, using LookSmart's proprietary page-composition software.
- Developed and maintained LookSmart's various Web properties during my tenure at LookSmart, including FindArticles.com, LookSmart.com and the About Us section of LookSmart.
- Teaching Assistant University of Nevada, Reno 1997-1998
- Instructed students in two new media courses, Online Reporting and Editing and Interactive Media. Online Reporting and Editing used students as reporters for a weekly-updated news Web site for the journalism school. Duties included teaching students how to write headlines, produce HTML files, create graphic files using Adobe Photoshop, and produce video and sound files using Quicktime or RealVideo.
- Interactive Media, taught CD-ROM development. Taught students how to acquire images, create graphics, produce audio files and author Quicktime VR panoramas. Used students' productions to create a cross-platform CD-ROM for the University's Admissions and Records office using Macromedia Director.
- Webmaster Blacksheep Films, Mill Valley,CA 1997-1999
- Created a Web site to promote the feature movie, The Moneytree. Site included video clips, critic reviews, links, biographies and ordering information
- Web/Multimedia Developer VRPR, Reno, NV 1996-1998
- Produced and developed multimedia-rich Web sites for clients, including the Northern Nevada
Medical Center, the California Transplant Donor Network and the United Way of Northern Nevada.
- Research Assistant University of Nevada, Reno 1996-1997
- Assisted the director of new media of the Journalism school. Designed and produced Web sites for the University. Authored virtual tour of the campus consisting of 10 Quicktime VR panoramas.
- MA Journalism 1998: Reynolds School of Journalism, University of Nevada, Reno - Reno, NV;
- Honors: 3.9 GPA, Leonard Memorial Scholarship, RSJ Service Award, Graduate Student Representative.
- Thesis: Comparative Analysis of the Effects of a CD-ROM Presentation vs. a Video-Based Presentation.
- BA English/Film Studies 1993: University of California, Riverside - Riverside, CA;
- Java, Discovering it Power: University of California Berkeley Extension
- Introduction to Perl Programming: University of California Berkeley Extension
- Designing Dynamic Web Pages: ATG Dynamo
- Multimedia Studies Program: San Francisco State University
- Courses: Photoshop, Theory and Criticism of Multimedia, Director
- XML Intensive: Web 2000 Conference
- Gubman, J., & Greer, J. (1999). Choosing the medium: Comparing the effectiveness of video and computer-based presentations as an instructional tool. Accepted for presentation and publication by the International Communication Association.
Gubman, J. & Greer, J. (1998). An analysis of online sites produced by U.S. newspapers: Are the critics right? Accepted for presentation and publication by the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communications.
Mensing, D., Gubman, J., & Louis, S. (1998). Measuring recall of linear and non-linear online news texts. Accepted for presentation and publication by the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communications.